Veterans Information Center

Committed to Serving Our Veterans

Our Registration Unit assists Veterans and dependents of Veterans with information concerning education benefits for which they qualify. It is an honor for us to provide this service to our veterans. For more information and office hours, call 1(800)241-2467 and ask for a VA Counselor.

Email our VA Counselor

Application Process

Send in your completed Alabama Fire College registration packet and provide the following items for VA certification.

  1. Certificate of Eligibility (COE): Once you have received the COE, you will be able to determine benefit eligibility and the amount owed towards tuition.
  2. Official transcripts (to include military transcripts) from all previously attended high schools and colleges.
  3. Download and fill out the Registration Form: (Download Fire Fighter I/II or EMT) In order to use his/her benefits at the Alabama Fire College, the student must submit all required documentation to Alabama Fire College by mail to 2501 Phoenix Drive, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405; by email to; or by fax to (205)391-3758.
  4. Download the Student Policies and Consents form
  5. Download the Educational Facilities form
  6. School Certifying Official Counseling Form: Download Fire Fighter I/II or EMS Programs

In order to receive VA benefits in a timely manner, all paperwork must be submitted 30 days prior to the start date of the class for which they are applying.

Important Information to Know

  • Alabama Fire College is a non-degree-granting institution. As a result, Veterans receive benefits according to the number of required clock hours they attend each week. Benefits are not calculated on semester hours.
  • You must meet all course requirements before being certified for VA benefits For VA Vocational Rehabilitation. The student’s Vocational Rehabilitation counselor will need to call the School Certifying Official to make arrangements prior to registration.
  • Courses Approved for VA Benefits
    Instructions: Enter Alabama Fire College in the Institution Name entry box. Under Program Types, select Non College Degree, and click on the state of Alabama.
  • DEERS: Student must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Report System(DEERS) to obtain either account type.
  • WAVE: Students receiving Chapter 30, 35, and 1606 must verify their enrollment monthly by using the following Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)
  • Student must indicate to the School Certifying Official (SCO) what benefit will be used.
    • Post 911 (Chapter 33): In-state students are not required to pay tuition up-front.
    • Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30): Students are required to pay tuition up-front.
    • Vocational Rehabilitation (VocRehab): Students must contact a VocRehab counselor at Veterans Affairs, and the counselor must contact the school’s SCO to make arrangements prior to registration.
    • Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35 – DEA): Students are required to pay tuition up-front.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S government website.

Looking for more information?

Contact Us