Submit an Application for Certification to the chief officer of your volunteer/combination fire department that is considering employment. The completed application should include (not limited to)
- Copy of a Pro Board or IFSAC Fire Fighter I (NFPA 1001, Level I (required) certificate
- Copy of a Pro Board or IFSAC Hazardous Materials Awareness & Operational (NFPA 472) (to include Mission Specific 6.2 and 6.6) certificate
- Official training academy transcript, syllabus, class records, schedules, etc. documenting training hours and topics for Fire Fighter I (& II, if applicable). Training Entity contact information must be included. Training must be verified.
- Other certifications the individual may hold
The departmental Chief Officer will forward the Candidate’s completed Application package, signed by the chief officer of a volunteer, municipal, county, state, federal or private-sector fire fighting agency within the State of Alabama to the Alabama Fire College Certification/Testing Office.
PLEASE NOTE: The Point of Contact for the submitted package will be the Chief Officer of the department. All communication from the AFC regarding the approval status will be with the Chief Officer only.
The Chief Officer will be notified in writing (or email) by the Certification/Testing Office of the Candidate’s status. The Candidate may be required to perform additional training.
- The Candidate will be required to sit for the Volunteer Fire Fighter Challenge Exam; please note that skills testing may also be required.
- Challenge Exam is 75 questions. Questions are validated to the current Instructional Manual and the current textbook, IFSTA’s, Essentials of Fire Fighting and Fire Department Operations, 6th edition.
Prior to scheduling a challenge Exam:
- Additional training or certifications required as prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to scheduling of Challenge Exam.