Reinstate Fire Fighter I certification (Recertification) for Self-Sponsored Students
(For training meeting NFPA 1001 - Level I )
To view the Alabama Administrative Code requirements regarding Fire Fighter I or Volunteer Fire Fighter Certification Expiration, Chief Requirements and Requirements for Recertification upon Re-entry into the Fire Service, see link below:
Requirements for Recertification upon Re-entry into the Fire Service
Any individual who was previously issued Fire Fighter I certification by the commission, and whose Fire Fighter I has expired, may be recertified by successfully completing a recertification course as prescribed by the commission. (the requirements for recertification shall not be construed as to preclude any employing agency from requiring any individual to complete any training required by the employing agency.)
Fire Fighter I Expiration
A Fire Fighter has an EXPIRED STATUS if the Fire Fighter has not maintained fire service employment over one year from the last date of termination from a fire department. Fire service employment is any paid municipal, county, state, federal or private-sector occupation that requires the candidate, as his primary duty, to actively and routinely engage in fire protection services. Volunteer status is not sufficient to maintain Fire Fighter I certification.
Please note, the fire chief of the employing department is responsible and required by Alabama Administrative Code to maintain and properly file the current required forms and necessary information regarding fire fighter employment.
A fire fighter’s current employment record must be maintained at the Alabama Fire College to maintain current active status.
Email Testing@alabamafirecollege.org to check current status.
A Self Sponsored Student previously certified can gain Recertification by attending the Fire Fighter I Recertification course.
Upon Registration, the student must submit:
- Verification of previous Alabama Fire Fighter I certification
- Physical Statement
- Current successful CPAT
- Certification in Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operation (see below for more information)
For Recertification, the individual will be required to successfully complete the Fire Fighter I Recertification course to include:
- Fire Fighter I Challenge Exam - 75 questions.
- Questions are validated to the current Instructional Manual and the current textbook, IFSTA’s, Essentials of Fire Fighting and Fire Department Operations, 6th edition.
- Skills (JPR) Exam – 2 randomly selected Individual Skills Sheets
- Two randomly selected skills are pulled by the AFC Certification/Testing Division for testing at the end of the course.
POINTS TO CONSIDER
- An Individual that was certified to Fire Fighter I prior to 2009 and is not currently Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations certified is eligible for a Challenge exam for HMAO.
- If the individual is actively engaged in an approved postsecondary degree program in Fire Science or closely related subject or a certificate or degree program in Emergency Medical Services the expiration can be deferred.
- Reinstatement of the Firefighter I certification shall reinstate any certifications expired under this provision.