Courses This Month



Connect with us







A.A.S. - Fire Science
The fire science program is a two-year technical program designed for individuals employed as fire fighters or for individuals who are seeking employment in the fire science field. Opportunities include fire safety specialists, inspectors, etc., in industry and commerce as well as fire fighters in the public sector. The program provides educational experience in basic fire prevention, control and loss. Individuals presently employed as fire fighters in government or industry will be especially interested in the program as a means of professional advancement. Fire science courses are scheduled to meet the needs of in-service firefighting personnel.

How do I enroll in Chattahoochee Valley Community College?

  • Submit an Application: CVCC has two methods that students can submit an application for admission:
    • Method 1: Create a user account and submit your application online by clicking here. The creation of an account with a user name and password must be completed prior to obtaining access to the online application. You must submit the required residency form and a copy of your state issued photo id by hand delivery to the Admissions Office or by mailing them to: Chattahoochee Valley Community College, Admissions Office, 2602 College Drive, Phenix City, AL 36869.
    • Method 2: Submit a paper application for admissions by clicking here and downloading the PDF file, completing, signing, and submitting the application along with the required residency form and copy of your state issued photo id by hand delivery to the Admissions Office or by mailing them to: Chattahoochee Valley Community College, Admissions Office, 2602 College Drive, Phenix City, AL 36869
** Our Ft. Benning students have the option to bring their application to the CVCC-Ft. Benning site located at Army Education Center – ACES, Building 9230, 8150 Marne Road, Room 1318, Ft. Benning, GA 31905

  • Submit Transcripts: Transcripts are needed from all previously attended high school/colleges. Only official transcripts bearing an official seal from the issuing institution will be accepted. CVCC will not accept copies submitted by the student. Request for Academic Records Form

CVCC is an electronic transcript receiver member of Credentials eScrip-Safe and Parchment. Therefore, if a previously attended high school, GED center, or college is an etranscript sender member, CVCC can receive the transcripts electronically. If the previously attended school is a member of either of these organizations, the school’s website should have a link for ordering transcripts.

  • Submit GED Certificate: All non-high school graduates must submit scores on the General Education Development Test and a Certificate of High School Equivalency.
  •  Attend an Academic Assessment Session: CVCC utilizes the ACCUPLACER® Assessment for placement. Students can view the current month’s ACCUPLACER® testing calendar on our website. Practice test questions are available here.

*Please note: All applicants must secure a social security number before submitting an application. The social security number will not be used as a means of identification- all students are issued a student ID.

Are there any special requirements for VA students?
There are no requirements for VA students as long as the student is enrolled into a degree program.

What program do I enroll in if I am a Firefighter?
The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Fire Science or the Short Certificate in Fire Science Program.

How many classes are taught at the Fire College?
There are 40 elective courses and the Firefighter I/II certification available through the Alabama Fire College. There are 20 courses in EMS available through the Alabama Fire College, including Basic, Advanced, and Paramedic.

Do I have to attend classes at the CVCC Campus?

How many transfer credits am I eligible for if I am a Firefighter?
A maximum of 17 hours of non-traditional credit may be awarded and applied toward graduation. Official certification of completion of approved Fire Academy work must be submitted to the Admissions Office. Certifications must be either an academic transcript from an accredited college, certificate of completion, or a letter on official letterhead from the Fire Academy. Upon completion of twelve (12) hours of approved Fire Science courses at CVCC, students may be awarded credit for fire service certifications that meet relevant national standards as determined by the Fire Science Program Coordinator or Lead Instructor.

Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission | 2501 Phoenix Dr - Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35405 | Toll Free: 1 (800) 241-2467 - Fax: 205-391-3757